It amazes me how more and more people in our world are starting to become sensitive to the various types of electromagnetic radiation. They walk into a room and can feel it. I imagine as 5G rolls out, even more people will start noticing these sensitivities. But whether we notice it or not, the different types of EMF Radiation have been shown by science to be dangerous to us. See the Scientific Studies page of this website for more information on this.
By far the best way to protect yourself from this radiation is to know exactly what devices in your home are emitting what, and how much each is emitting. If you know this, and what the safe levels of each are, it is much easier to then go through your home and make the corrections and implement the protections as each problem warrants. For this you need the correct meters.
The purpose of this article is to show you what types you will need and why, as well as which are the best value for the money. We will go over each meter, its pros and cons, and what it is best for measuring below. If you would like to skip down to the sections of this article that give the specific details about each meter, just click on the links below. To get back to this list then just hit the back button on your browser.
The 7 Best EMF Meters and Detectors are:
- 1. TriField TF2 Meter
- 2. Graham-Stetzer Microsurge Meter
- 3. Acoustimeter AM-10 Meter
- 4. HF 35C High Frequency Analyzer
- 5. Cornet ED-88T Plus Meter
- 6. Meterk EMF Detector
- 7. Latnex HF-B3G Meter
See also the last three sections of this article which are:
Below I have listed a quick table to give you all a comparison of each meter with pictures and a few highlights:
|1. TriField TF2 Meter
|2. Graham-Stetzer Microsurge Meter
||3. Acoustimeter AM-10 Meter
|4. HF 35C High Frequency Analyzer
|5. Cornet ED-88T Plus Meter
|6. Meterk EMF Detector
|7. Latnex HF-B3G Meter||CHECK PRICE|
1. TriField TF2 Meter
Check Out The Price On Amazon With This Link: TriField EMF Meter Model TF2. This is a EMF meter I was hesitant to try originally because I was so focused on Radio Frequency (RF) Radiation and dirty electricity, because they are the most powerful of the EMF dangers. The fast majority of the studies I have found focus on RF Radiation.
But as I started digging through more and more of the older scientific studies I realized there was a fare amount of studies done on Electric and Magnetic Radiation in as well. There are 3 types of EMF Radiation, 1. RF Radiation, 2. Electric Fields and Magnetic Fields. The TriField TF2 Meter measures all 3.
Below is an actual video review I did of this meter. In the video I test my laptop for all 3 types of EMF Radiation and show you how to use the meter.
The main features of the TriField TF2 Meter that I like are as follows:
- Measures 3 Types Of EMF Radiation: As I show in the video above, the TriField TF2 Meter has settings to measure Magnetic Fields, Electric Fields and RF Radiation. It is not my favorite meter for measuring RF Radiation (I will talk more about why later), but since it is half the price of the HF 35c High Frequency Analyser, and it does such a great job measuring Electric and Magnetic Fields, it is my favorite meter over all.
- Nice Audio Output: I just really think it is handy when the meter gives you an audio sound when it is picking up radiation. This one’s audio is not super loud, but it is loud enough and works great.
- Nice Back-Light: This is another handy feature it has which I consider pretty much a necessity. Sometimes when you are taking readings it is in areas of your home that are not well lit. So having it light up makes things a whole lot easier.
- Weighted Mode: I have not played with this feature much. It is designed to measure EMF Radiation in the human body. As you lower the different types of EMF Radiation within and around your home, you will notice the weighted mode readings on your body will come down as well.
- 3-Axis Sensor: The Magnetic sensor is a 3-Axis Sensor. This is handy for magnetic fields because it takes an accurate reading from all directions. Neither the Electric, Magnetic nor RF Radiation sensors are “directional”, which means they read only from a specific direction. This is why I like the HF 35c better for reading RF Radiation. Having a directional meter I think is easier when going through a house checking if specific devises emit RF Radiation. So I use the TriField TF2 for measuring Magnetic & Electric Fields, but I use the HF 35c for RF Radiation readings. That being said it is handy sometimes that the TriField will read RF also.
- LCD Display: This is a benefit for those who are used to the needle reading used by former TriField models. I like the digital much better, especially since the TF2 has a digital needle simulator so it is kind of like getting the best of both models.
Okay well that about wraps up my review of the TriField TF2 Meter. The only other thing I wanted to mention about this meter is the “cons” with this meter. There is really only one feature I don’t like that I would consider a con. That is the fact that the “Peak Measurement” digital reading is very small and the large one is the “Field Measurement”. (see image to the upper left)
A Peak Measurement reading is the highest reading over a measured period of time (like one second or something). This Peak Measurement is the number that we use most of the time, or at least I do. On a digital meter like this the Field Measurement reading changes so much, that you can’t see each number it displays. And what I really want to know is what its highest readings are anyway. EMF Radiation fluctuates.
It would be much more handy if the Peak Measurement was the big number on the screen that was easier to see. But instead it is so small. Since the Peak Measurement is the one I am looking for most of the time, it makes using the meter a bit inconvenient. This is particularly a problem for me when I am reading RF Radiation (again another reason why I just use the HF 35c High Frequency Analyzer). I did call the manufacturer about this and they told me that they plan on switching the Peak Measurement digital number bigger in future models.
2. Graham-Stetzer Microsurge Meter
Check Out The Price On Amazon With This Link: Graham-Stetzer Microsurge Meter. The reason I put this meter at number 2 is because it really surprises me how many EMF websites ignore the need for a meter that actually reads the dirty electricity from directly on the lines of an electrical circuit.
On the “VIDEOS” page of this website, one of the videos I list there is one called “Smart Meter Opt Out”. In this video Dr. Laura Pressley Ph.D., (who has a doctorate in Physical Chemistry and holds four U.S. Patents in semiconductor device technology) is shown going through a home and testing it for both RF Radiation and dirty electricity.
In the video she takes a reading with her Graham-Stetzer Microsurge Meter of a room the measures at 1,500 units on the meter. She remarks something like “wow that is a cancer level reading”. I measure houses all the time with a 1,500 reading or higher in at least one room of their home, sometimes more. My point is this is a very important meter to own.
This below video is a short video of me showing you how to use the Graham-Stetzer Microsurge Meter. I actually measure a circuit in my home that reads too high, then I show you how to correct the problem. The video is short and worth watching.
The main features of the Graham-Stetzer Microsurge Meter that I like are as follows:
- Reasonably Priced: If you click on the Amazon link I have at the beginning of this section you can buy this meter for around $85. And it is great quality and will last you a very long time. As you identify dirty electricity problems in your home you will be able to solve most of them with a Graham-Stetzer Filter. Here is the link to the best place to purchase the filters: Graham-Stetzer Filters. You only need to buy filters for circuits in your home that you find reading above the safe level.
- Extremely Simple To Use: Simple to use is an understatement. As you can see in the picture of this meter at the beginning of this section (or in the above video), all you have to do is plug the meter into one of the electrical outlets in each circuit in your home or office. As soon as you do that the meter gives you a digital numeric reading. If the meter reads higher than “50” on that circuit, then it is above the safe limit. If it reads below “50” you are good, and do not need to take any corrective measures. For in depth instructions on how to identify and correct dirty electricity problems in your home, see this article: “How To Test For Dirty Electricity: A Helpful Illustrative Guide!“
- Dirty Electricity Simple To Correct: In most cases dirty electricity is a simple fix. Simply plug in a filter into a circuit reading too high and you are good. In my small 3 bedroom home I only needed about 7 filters and my whole home was in safe zone. Now sometimes high levels of dirty electricity are caused by wired in electronic devices, devices that send the internet over normal electrical wiring or an electrical wiring problem such as poor grounding or a short. In those cases you will need to remove the device causing the problem or have an electrician correct an electrical issue.
3. Acoustimeter AM-10 Meter
Check Out The Price On Amazon With This Link: Acoustimeter AM-10 Meter. This meter (like the HF 35c meter below) only measures Radio Frequency (RF) Radiation. RF Radiation is the most powerful and harmful of the types of EMF Radiation. This is not a meter that I personally own yet. However I plan on getting one and when I do I will update this article and do my own video on this meter.
I am listing this meter above the HF 35c High Frequency Analyzer below for one reason. It measures a broader frequency range than the HF 35c meter below. It measures a frequency range from 200 MHz to 8 GHz. The HF 35c High Frequency Analyzer below measures a frequency range from 800 MHz – 2.5 GHz. What this means is it will pick of radiation from more devices.
In the below video Cece Doucette does a really great job of going through her home and taking RF Radiation readings both with and without here WiFi devices turned on. I have read that the Acoustimeter AM-10 Meter is a directional meter, which I personally like, but I never see anyone using it as one (pointing the sensor in specific directions). Cece does not use it as a directional meter in this video. It apparently is not as “directional” as the HF 35c High Frequency Analyzer is.
The main features of the Acoustimeter AM-10 Meter that I like are as follows:
- Sturdy Construction: Again I do not own this meter yet, so I don’t know how it compares quality wise with the other meters. But I have watched and read quite a few reviews on this meter from people who do own it who comment on how well it is built.
- Broad Frequency Range: This is my favorite feature about this meter. It measures a frequency range from 200 MHz to 8 GHz. The HF 35c High Frequency Analyzer below measures a frequency range from 800 MHz – 2.5 GHz. Devices operate using different frequencies. Think of radio channels. They are different frequencies. If you have too many WiFi devices on the same frequency in an area you get interference. This is why different devices use different frequencies. The Acoustimeter AM-10 Meter will pick up the RF Radiation from devices the HF 35c will not, because it picks up a broader frequency range.
- Sensitive and Accurate: From everything I have watched and read on this meter people who own them compliment them on how sensitive and accurate the Acoustimeter AM-10 Meter is. In fact for many of them these two things were their favorite things about this meter.
- Peak & Average Readings: To me this is a really big deal when measuring RF Radiation. This meter measures both the Peak and the Average at the same time. I really like that feature as well. some devices emit high spikes of radiation. With this meter you can see both what the highest spikes are, as well as what each device emits on an average. I am excited to get one of these meters.
This meter only has one real “con” that I know of. Its price. It is the most expensive of the meters I am reviewing. It costs around $370. But other than that everything else about this meter is positive.
4. HF 35C High Frequency Analyzer
Check Out The Price With This Link: HF 35C High Frequency Analyzer. This is my favorite meter for measuring Radio Frequency (RF) Radiation, mostly because I have used it the most and am used to it. It can be set to give the Peak Measurement reading which means the highest reading received during each second or so. And it is very “directional”, which means that it only reads from the direction you are pointing it.
RF Radiation is powerful enough radiation that you can pick it up from a room or several rooms away in some cases. There is much to be said about going through a home and being able to point the meter around the room. When the meter starts freaking out you know the device you are pointing it at is the culprit. That is what I am used to with the HF 35c High Frequency Analyzer. That may be why I like that feature.
Some devices I thought would give off a ton of RF Radiation barely gave off any, and yet the device in the same room was emitting a ton. With a meter like the TriField TF2 Meter above you just have to turn off devices one at a time, or move the meter closer to each device, so you know which device you are picking up the radiation from with the meter. It is not that big of a deal though.
Electric and Magnetic fields generally do not travel as far and are not as powerful of a signal so not having a directional meter is actually easier (like the TriField TF2 Meter). With low powered EMF Radiation you have to hold the meter closer to the device anyway. I hope my logic there made sense to everyone.
In the video below you actually see me using the HF 35c High Frequency Analyzer to test the before and after readings of my 5 GHz WiFi router, when I put it in a Wifi Router Guard. You will see exactly how this meter is used and how it works in this short video. It is also worth watching.
The main features of the HF 35c High Frequency Analyzer that I like are as follows:
- Directional Meter: Again for measuring high powered radiation such as RF Radiation, a directional meter is just really handy. I know people promoting other meters for RF Radiation extol the virtues of non-directional sensors. Having used both, for RF Radiation directional is better and easier in my opinion. But you can be effective using non directional meters. It is mostly just a preference I suppose.
- Well Constructed: There isn’t anyone that I have ever seen that complains about this meter falling apart. It is a tank. It is very well built. I have had mine for over 4 years and use it all the time and it is still running strong. I have not even ever has so much as a battery issue.
- Highly Accurate: I have tested this meter along side other meters that measure RF Radiation and this one is just consistently accurate. Most others are too. But if I ever doubt the reading on another meter I double check it with this one.
- Peak Measurement Setting: The whole point of using a meter to measure RF Radiation is to know how high the bursts of radiation read. The easiest way to see that is to have the meter set on its Peak setting. Very important.
As much as I rave about this meter, and I do love it, it does have two very significant cons. 1. It only measures RF Radiation. It does not measure Electric or Magnetic Fields. And 2. it costs about $350 or so. These are the only reasons that this meter does not rank higher on my list.
RF Radiation is the most powerful and important to correct of the different types of EMF Radiation. Next to RF Radiation would be dirty electricity, and then Electric and Magnetic fields. So this is the meter I use by far more than any other, so I am glad I have it. It makes RF Radiation reading so much more convenient.
5. Cornet ED-88T Plus Meter
Check Out The Price On Amazon With This Link: Cornet ED-88T Plus Meter. This is a meter I am very impressed with as well. This is also one I do not own yet, but I will be picking one up. You will understand why as I go through this review.
I have read and watched numerous reviews of this meter and compared it to numerous reviews of the other ones and I will tell you what I like about this. First of all this meter measures 3 types of EMF or electromagnetic fields or radiation. It measures Electric and Magnetic Fields as well as Radio Frequency (RF) Radiation. So again owning this meter it is like owning two meters in one.
In this video below the man in the video demonstrates using this meter to test the radiation coming out of his microwave. Microwave radiation is RF Radiation just like a cellphone, Bluetooth or a wireless router. Watching this video will give you a good feel for this meter and how it works. Once I get one of these meters myself I will update this article and do a video myself as well.
The main features of the Cornet ED-88T Plus Meter that I like are as follows:
- Measures A Broad Frequency Range: For RF Radiation this meter measures (100 MHz – 8 GHz), for measuring Magnetic Fields it measures (50 Hz – 10 kHz), and for measuring Electric Fields it measures (50 Hz – 50 kHz).
- Reasonably Priced: The Cornet ED-88T Plus Meter costs about $190 on Amazon. At the beginning of this section I put a link for you that will take you directly to where you can buy this meter on Amazon.
- Well Constructed: In all of the reviews I have read and watched on this meter quite a few of them mention that it is built well or that it holds up for a long time.
- Headphone Port: Since this meter also puts of audio noises that correspond to the reading on the meter, they put a head phone jack on this model so that you can listen to the noises privately if you choose to. That way I guess your not bugging people if you are testing things around a lot of other people.
- Directional Meter: This meter does pick up the RF Radiation in a directional manner so you can tell which direction the RF Radiation is coming from when you are testing. I like this feature on a meter but I know some other people prefer non-directional meters.
- Fairly Simple To Use: This meter is fairly simple to use. It has more buttons and is a bit more complicated than some of the other ones, but not too complicated. I think everyone can run this one quite easily without any problem.
The only real “Con” I would say with this meter is that it is a bit more complicated to operate. But like I said not enough that I personally think it should be a deterrent for anyone. It still is pretty simple to operate.
6. Meterk EMF Detector
Check Out The Price On Amazon With This Link: Meterk EMF Detector. Okay this is a meter that many people recommend, mainly because it is so inexpensive. At the time of the writing of this review this meter is only $44.97 on the above link on Amazon.
This meter is pretty complicated to run for a new person. It is more complicated than the other meters. There are lots of videos that on YouTube that show how to run the older model, and I am sure videos will be coming out about the newer one. And it comes with operating instructions.
This is not a meter I own, but I have read and watched reviews on it. This is not one I plan on buying. This meter measures only two types of EMF Radiation, Electric Fields and Magnetic Fields. These fields have been shown in many scientific studies to be carcinogenic as well as effecting fertility. So it is important to measure these on your various devices.
However Radio Frequency (RF) Radiation and Dirty Electricity are more powerful forms of EMF Radiation. So my personal opinion is, this is not the first meter I would recommend someone buy because they should be more concerned about RF Radiation and Dirty Electricity. You do want to be concerned about Electric & Magnetic Fields, because they are harmful. I am just saying if money is a concern I would start with the 2 most powerful EMF Radiations first, that’s all.
If you get the TriField TF2 Meter above, it measures Electric Fields, Magnetic Fields and RF Radiation. I recommend you start with that meter and the Graham-Stetzer Microsurge Meter, then you can measure all four types of harmful electromagnetic radiation.
I chose the below video for you only because it is the only one I could find at the writing of this review that showed the new 2019 model of the Meterk EMF Detector. This video is not very informative, so you will want to read my pros and cons about it in this section below. But it does show the meter working so you get a look at it in action.
The main features of the Meterk EMF Detector that I like are as follows:
- Very Inexpensive: At the time of the writing of this review this meter is only $44.97 on the above link on Amazon. That is the main reason people recommend this meter, and it is why I included it on this list.
- Measures Temperature: It measures temperature with 2 temperature units Celsius and Fahrenheit. The large clear LCD display shows the values for easy reading. I am not really sure why that is important enough to make it on an EMF Meter, but it is kind of a cool extra.
- Two Readings At Same Time: This new model Meterk EMF Detector can test Electric Field strength and Magnetic Field strength at the same time. If you look on the image there are two good sized digital readers that will show each of those to field readings simultaneously. Kind of snazzy, saves a bit of time.
- Intensity Bar Graph Display: When you put the Meterk EMF Detector close to a test magnetic and electric field, it displays a snazzy bar graph of the intensity of the Magnetic and Electric Fields, respectively. It also shows a Good/Bad prompt for the test on the screen.
- Sound-Light Alarm: When the test result exceeds the safe level, the meter will beep an alarm automatically. This lets you know the radiation emitted is high enough to be a concern.
- Feature Rich: This meter has a lot of features such as the ones listed above. It also displays measurements in different measurement readings.
The only cons I can see about this meter is as I said above it looks more complicated to operate for a person new to these meters. Buttons do multiple things depending on how many times you press the button. If you know what your doing, and what each reading is, I think it would be great. But I can see new people might get confused.
Also I noticed in the reviews I read and watched I did not see anyone mention it being well constructed. For the price I just wonder how well build it is. So this is not really a con because I don’t know, just nobody mentioned it being well built as a positive.
7. Latnex HF-B3G Meter
Check Out The Price On Amazon With This Link: Latnex HF-B3G Meter. This is my least favorite of these meters, which is why I chose to list it last. Again this is one that I do not own (nor do I plan on purchasing one), but I have read and watched multiple reviews and review videos so I could get a feel for how it operates.
This meter only measures Radio Frequency (RF) Radiation and has Triple Axis sensors (non-directional) which some people really like. As I have mentioned in previous sections I prefer a directional meter for reading RF Radiation. To me it makes it quicker going through a home other than your own and identifying the problem devices. Non-directional sensors work great for Electric Field and Magnetic Field testing in my opinion.
The price for this meter at the time of my writing this review is about $149.99. So it is not the most expensive meter, nor is it the least expensive. It is priced high enough that you would expect it to be a quality built meter.
In fact in the review videos I have watched the meter looks like it is well built, but nobody mentioned that as a positive in any of the reviews I read or watched. I did read one review where a person mentioned that Latnex is not that old of a company so they did not know if they will be around for the long haul or not.
In the below video the guy in the video does a demonstration of the Latnex HF-B3G Meter. He does a quick demonstration so that you can see how the meter works. This is a very feature rich RF Radiation meter with lots of buttons that do multiple things. So this meter will be the most confusing to operate of any of the meters I talk about in this article. It does have a very good manual however so that is helpful.
The main features of the Latnex HF-B3G Meter that I like are as follows:
- Feature Rich: If you are very experienced in using these meters you will like all of the features and different readings options this meter will give you. This would not be the best meter for someone new to using these meters unless you are willing to take the time to read the manual, Google some of the terms, and learn the purpose and meaning of all of the options.
- Quality Construction: I am going out on a limb here on this one when I say it has quality construction, because I do not have first hand or second hand knowledge of this. It just looks well built in each of the videos that I have watched where people are using this meter. So take this pro with a grain of salt.
- Sensitive & Accurate: Several of the reviews I read on the Latnex HF-B3G Meter mentioned that it was both a very sensitive and accurate meter. The fact that they would comment on this is a good indicator that it is so, especially since on of the reviews was from a guy that has used many different EMF meters.
The main cons of this meter is that it has a Triple Axis (non-directional) sensor system. In measuring RF Radiation it will take longer and be more work testing a home or office you are not familiar with because you will not know which direction the signal is coming from. And you will not have as accurate of readings because this meter will be picking of radiation coming from other directions all at the same time.
What To Do First
There are basically four different types of EMF Radiation. They are Electric Fields, Magnetic Fields, Radio Frequency (RF) Radiation and Dirty Electricity. Dirty Electricity is technically a combination of the others, but I list it separate because it is powerful and takes a different kind of a meter to accurately measure it.
Of these types of electromagnetic radiation, the most serious and powerful are first RF Radiation, and then Dirty Electricity. Since they are the most powerful they will have the worst negative affects and are the ones that you will want to correct first.
So if money is an issue the most important meters to buy first would be meters that read RF Radiation and Dirty Electricity. Since they do not yet make a meter that will read both, you will be buying two meters. That is why I listed the TriField TF2 as the number one on this list, and the Graham-Stetzer Microsurge Meter as number two on this list. If you cannot afford to buy any other meters, those are the ones you will want to get.
And since the TriField TF2 Meter measures Electric and Magnetic Fields too, you can test all four kinds of EMF Radiation. The TriField is not a directional RF Radiation meter, which is what I like, but is effective and that way you will be able to completely correct all of the EMF problems you have.
Correcting EMF Problems You Identify
So once you have your TriField TF2 Meter and your Graham-Stetzer Microsurge Meter and you find a whole bunch of harmful EMF Radiation problems in your home, how do you go about making the corrections you need? That is easy. You go to the Recommended Protections page of this website and you will find solutions to just about every EMF problem you will run across (Except for if you find out you have an electrical wiring problem. Then you will need to hire an electrician.)
Also I have a lot of videos on the Videos page of this website which will show you some solutions as well. If you hover over with your mouse the main menu tab on this website that says “Go To Guide”, there I show myself going room by room of a house of some friends of mine and testing each room for both RF Radiation and Dirty Electricity. That should be very helpful as well.
One other very good article that is very helpful in this regard is the home page of this website. The article is entitled “The 7 Worst Radiations Dangers In Your Home“.
Well now that you have finished reading this article I sincerely hope that it gave you the information that you were looking for, and that it was helpful. If it was then mission accomplished. If you found this article helpful please share it on several of your social media pages so that your friends can see this information as well. That really helps us get the word out and we really appreciated it when people do that for us.
Well that is pretty much all of the EMF Meter recommendations I have for this article. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this article!